Friday, February 02, 2007

Sugar!

Yes, we've been working with sugar this week... 320 degree, molten sugar, that we pull and blow and pour into beautiful (occasionally) shapes. It's hot, and it hurts, but it's fun, too, and really interesting. Here are some pictures of things I've done.

Blown sugar balls


It's just so pretty!




Fishy


Blown/pulled apple


Ugly retro owl (poured). She was later decorated with pulled feathers, but didn't look any better with further decoration.


Pulled sugar bow


The end of the day, before a trip to the trash can.

I just think sugar is so beautiful. When it's in the process of being pulled it takes on this incredible shine, like nothing I've ever seen. It's really wonderful. On monday we're making showpieces based on famous pieces of art... any ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a pastry student in Canada and I came across your blog while googling images for sugar showpieces. I just wanted to say that your stuff is absolutely lovely! I really like the sugar bow you pulled. I've never seen a student's bow look so smooth with such definition in the strands of colour. Good luck with everything.
Nicole

shoughssi said...

f7t02w4x90 g1l03e1s64 w8q37p2o03 j6h14w0u89 l6p42u7a12 d3h27p3h42