Tuesday, October 24, 2006

First day of cake section


This is the first real cake we've made. It uses a very different method from anything I've ever made. Where Americans prize a nice, dense, moist cake, the classic French cake, Genoise, is very dry and bland. You give it flavor by soaking it in simple syrup (We spiked ours with raspberry brandy.... yum!) The filling is just raspberry jam (also spiked), and the covering is buttercream- but not the gross, criscoey stuff you get most places here. We use $11/lb butter, and make it classically, starting with and Italian Meringue or a Pate a Bombe. It's really delicious and flavorful. Tomorrow we're making a chocolate ganache cake- I'll be sure to post again.
In response to the comment from Brian, much of the food goes to waste, unfortunately. We save some of it for school functions or for when we're having a bad day in class and need some sugar. Most of it we bring home, though. Which means that I have 5 cakes, a tart, and two loaves of bread in my refrigerator, plus some danishes in my freezer. But I will never be able to eat all of that, and I don't have enough friends to consume all of it, so I will end up throwing the majority away

No comments: